Sunday, March 12, 2017

Flipped Classroom

Knowledge Building through Hands-on Activities

I am a huge fan of hands-on learning, especially in my science classroom. Using Flipped Classrooms has served to allow for more class time to be spent engaging in hands-on activities and has increased the opportunities for inquiry based learning. Through flipped classrooms students can learn small chunks of new information that can be built upon when they come to class. When students have foundational knowledge, they are able to build on ideas and explore new lines of inquiry, thus leading to creativity in learning and innovation! Moreover, flipped classrooms allow students to take in new knowledge at their own pace and in an environment suited to their learning needs.

EDpuzzle is an easy to use tool for developing flipped classrooms. This platform allows you to take videos that have already been created, from platforms such as Youtube, Khan Academy and Crash Course among others. Teachers can use as much or as little as the selected video as they would like and can embed voice and questions throughout. Data can be collected on each student, providing the teacher with a method to ensure accountability and a means to assess student achievement - informing what may need to be addressed in class.

Definitely worth a try.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Emily,
    I tried your EDpuzzle resource and it is really useful! I like that you can edit videos and insert your own voice and questions. It is hard to find good ESL video resources. Most times I am forced to stay close to my computer rather than observe my class because I have to worry about stopping a clip in the right spot or need to waste time locating a part of the clip I wanted. With this resource, I can customize videos to suit my classroom! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily,
    I enjoy flipped classrooms as well. Here is a great resource I use for my science classes https://www.youtube.com/user/tdewitt451 . He posts great videos that can are the perfect length for flipping a class.

    Good work!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    Thanks for sharing this resource. I was actually taking about this very thing with a few of my intermediate teachers. On of the sites they used was not longer available so I am excited to pass this along. I love the follow up that the teacher has access to as well with this site. Do you find there are any challenges with this approach? I know some of my teachers struggle with students coming to class unprepared having not viewed the material?

    Thanks,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete