Monday, March 13, 2017

Self-Reflection

Then and Now



At the outset of this course, I was under the assumption that we would largely be exploring technology integration as a mechanism for facilitating creativity and innovation in teaching and learning. At this stage of my own professional growth and development, I had not yet taken the time to meaningfully reflect on the term ‘innovation’ and what that word meant to me within my own personal narrative nor within my own professional context. At that time, if asked to define innovation on the spot, I would have been very quick to associate the term with all things technology. While technology does play a major role with respect to innovative approaches to teaching and learning, I have since come to realize that it is not the only tool that can be used to facilitate innovation in teaching and learning.

In module 1, through discussion with peers, I was able to expand upon my personal understanding of terms so commonly used within our profession - teaching, learning, creativity and innovation. As mentioned in one of my earlier blog posts, I was shocked to realize how our perceptions and understandings of a word that is used so often can take on an entirely new meaning when you spend the time to really address what said words mean to you in your own context. Moreover, I was surprised to see how understandings and perceptions can be challenged even further when seen through the eyes of someone else within the same profession and/or within a completely different context. This activity served as an excellent means through which to build on knowledge as a professional learning community.

As we progressed into module 2, I was initially confused with the role of history in innovation. At first glance, I made the assumption that this was a step backward - isn’t innovation about the creation of something novel? Why are we dwelling on the past? As I considered the content of the readings, I quickly recognized the importance of reflecting on past events so as to build on prior knowledge and elicit solutions to potential problems that may occur in the future. Furthermore, there are instances in which innovation is not recognized or appreciated as a result of preconceived notions (rooted in history) - this calls upon the importance of facilitating students to “think concretely and reflectively about important issues bearing on the human condition” (Osborn, 2008, p. 10) so as to prepare our students to draw on prior knowledge in order to inform their understanding of and/or verify any new information they are being told within a variety of contexts. Finally, of particular interest to myself, was Kliebard’s (n.d.), argument that teachers should study history of education, as doing so “should provide [teachers] the capability to analyze one’s own pedagogical context with wisdom and insight, not with a shoe box full of ready-made solutions” (p.194).  
This module left me with the intention to provide more experiences for my students within a variety of contexts, so as to allow my students to be more active in their own learning, thus better able to make meaningful connections. Additionally, I hope to ensure my students feel safe within the learning environment so as to take risks with regards to problem-solving and inquiry - allowing them to explore, express and imagine.

Module 3 shed some light on the concept of innovation from a philosophical viewpoint. One's personal context informs their ideas surrounding innovation and more specifically, the ethical implications of innovation. This module highlighted, for me, the importance of being philosophically minded in our approaches to making sense of the ideas we have in relation to our professional context and interests. Christou (2012) argues that educators who employ philosophical mindedness understand that knowledge is not fixed and show a willingness to facilitate the birth of ideas (pg.22). Moreover, It is important to work collaboratively and listen attentively to those who may not share the same cultural beliefs and values. We must employ a ‘care-ethic’ that requires us to put aside our “own values and projects and [try] to understand the expressed needs of the cared-for” (Noddings, 2010, p.391). To do so, we must act as facilitators through supporting, guiding and encouraging students - while students, in turn, should be responsive, “providing confirmatory evidence that the carer is on the right track” (Noddings, 2010, p.391).
This module has inspired me to encourage students to “bring forward ideas that [are] true and just, regardless of their prior convictions” (Christou, 2012, p.18), especially as a teacher in an international context, with the aim to develop intercultural awareness and competence. I also hope to expand my classroom to engage collaboratively with others around the world, so as to explore various perspectives, reflect on prior knowledge and “pursue common values and shared projects not only to accomplish important ends but also to know one another better” (p.394 ). Furthermore, this module has emphasized the importance of encouraging critical and creative thought within my classroom - I hope to step outside of my comfort zone to examine prior assumptions and beliefs that inform my approaches to teaching and learning and intend to ask the same of my students.

Through ongoing reflection in Module 4 and 5, I have gained deeper understandings of what innovation means to me with respect to my professional context. I have been able to collaboratively build on prior knowledge through discussions with my peers and through sharing in their reflective practice. I feel that this process has allowed me to address personal areas in need of growth and has afforded me the opportunity to take the time to reflect on my current strategies within the classroom and ways in which I can enhance the learning environment and meet the needs of my students in a constantly changing world.

Throughout the course, we were asked to pose questions regarding the topics being addressed. While many of my questions found answers in discussions and/or through personal reflections, below are the some of the questions I am still looking to answer:

  1. The scope of history is vast - how can we address facts that inform our present on a  global scale?
  2. How might we address students who are not anxious about the future but are instead apathetic? Many of my high school students react to some global issues with the attitude of “it does not directly affect me, so I do not care”.
  3. Part of our curriculum calls for the completion of community service hours. While this serves to introduce students to agencies, partnerships and networks engaged in problem-solving, does it effectively work to build efficacy?
  4. Being philosophically minded calls upon educationalists to “relentlessly pursue richer and deeper understanding” (Cirstou, 2012, p.8). How do we balance active and ongoing scrutiny of approaches to pedagogy with the need for identifiable standards and consistency? (ex: the overall objectives of a specific course, which courses are offered, etc).
  5. We often discuss philosophers of western civilization and the impact on western education systems. What about the philosophers and differences in philosophies of education that may exist in various parts of the world? How do we employ an approach to education that is more reflective of a global philosophy of education?
References:
Christou, T. M., & Bullock, S. M. (2012). The case for philosophical mindedness. Paideusis, 20(1), 14–23.
Kliebard, H. M. (Unknown). Why history of education in teacher education? Unpublished manuscript, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI.
Noddings, N. (2010). Moral education in an age of globalization. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 42(4), 390–396. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-5812.2008.00487.x
Osborne, K. (2008). The teaching of history and democratic citizenship. In R. Case & P. Clark (Eds.), The anthology of social studies, volume 2: Issues and strategies for secondary teachers (pp. 3–14). Vancouver: Pacific Educational Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment